Introduction from http://chinesepaladin.org/about
XianJian QiXia Zhuan 仙劍奇俠傳 (also known as The Legend of Sword and Fairy and “PAL”) is an action RPG created by Taiwan's Softstar Entertainment Inc. The game is considered by many as simply one of the best Chinese RPG ever created. Since its first release in 1995 (DOS Version), many new versions and sequels (including a prequel) were created. However, none could replace the breath-taking and tragic tale it was born from. Here, we meet our protagonist Li Xiaoyao; an aspiring martial artist and the lovely Zhao Ling'er, a charismatic Nuwa descendant.
Now this game has been ported to Nintendo 3DS! In both Chinese and non-official English! This game is also on titledb. Compatible with both o3DS and n3DS.
Download latest release from github: https://github.com/zephray/sdlpal/releases
Source code available on github. This port is also merged into mainline sdlpal repository: https://github.com/sdlpal/sdlpal
- Download sdlpal.3dsx and copy to your 3DS. (Or install the sdlpal.cia).
- Create a new folder called sdlpal in 3ds folder of your SD card.
- Copy the sdlpal.cfg to the sdlpal folder just created. (so you should have sdmc:/3ds/sdlpal/sdlpal.cfg)
- Download the offical PC game freeware (for Windows 98): http://update1.baiyou100.com/resource/Pal98rqp.zip
- Extract all the file to the sdlpal folder. (Actually, these AVI files and two folders are not needed, feel free not to copy them if you are running out of SD card space.)
- Open sdlpal.cfg, change CODEPAGE=0 to CODEPAGE=1
- If you are using new3DS, turn on CPU+L2 boost in your CFW menu.
- If you are using original 3DS, open sdlpal.cfg, change both STEREO and USESURROUNDOPL to 0, lower both SAMPLERATE and OPLSAMPLERATE to 22050.
- You are now good to play the game in Chinese. To play it in English, continue on. It's also a good idea to check if it works before continue.
- Download the english patch: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2441/
- Extract everything except sdlpal.cfg in the win directory of the archive file to the sdlpal directory of the SD card. (so, overwrite m.msg, sss.mkf and word.dat, add m_chs.txt and m_eng.txt)
- Open sdlpal.cfg, append “MESSAGEFILENAME=./m_eng.txt” at bottom
- You are good to play it.
The installation is a little bit complicated due to the copyright issue. The game itself is release officially as a freeware, but I am not allowed to redistribute it, so you have to copy these resources files yourself.
The control is fairly easy, use DPAD or CPAD to move or select, A is enter and B is menu. You can also accelerate the game with L key (Sadly, almost no effect on o3DS, up to maximum 3X of the speed so you can skip fight animation etc.)
Submit a new issue on the github.
- Merged new functionality from mainline repository.
- Initial release, based on a extremely outdated version of sdlpal. (I didn't figured out the main repo.) Fully playable with Pal DOS resource file: